Saturday, May 4, 2019

The Desert Rose - Chapter 9


The Bonus

It was exactly four months since the project was started.
Jasbir Singh was panting when he came running to Menon’s site office.
 “Sirji, the Sheikh is on site.” He was still panting.
Menon wore his helmet and literally ran. The Sheikh was standing at the villa 28. Bedouins were surrounding him. Baqer was speaking to him.

The Sheikh shook hands with Menon and said “Sabah - Al Khair, Mohandis” (Good Morning, Engineer). Kaif Haalak? (How are you?)
“Good Morning, Your Highness. I am good. Thank you, Your highness” Menon replied nervously.
The Sheikh took Menon in his Land rover.

He spoke in very fluent Urdu. “How is the work? I want you to specially take care in waterproofing the roofs of the villas. We have a very bad problem at Dubai due to leaky roofs. How many months are left for the project to complete?” He asked Menon.
“Two more months, Your Highness” Menon replied.
“No, I want all the villas completed in one month from today. I need to hand over the villas to my people before the start of the Holy Month of Ramadan. So you can plan accordingly. If you hand over in one month, I will sanction ten percent of the contract value extra as bonus.” H H The Sheikh looked at Menon and smiled. “So hurry up”.
H H The Sheikh dropped Menon at his office and left.

Menon ran to the wireless station and tried Ibrahim Fardan. He got him on the line. He explained everything to him. He was asked to go to the head office with Abdulla, the General Foreman for discussions.

Ibrahim was smiling when he met Menon.
“You love challenges, right? So do it.” He said
“Ibrahim, I need 75 masons and 75 helpers more for the finishing works, to achieve this target” Menon said.
“That won’t be a problem. I am still having a group visa of 200 persons. I will send a telegram to Bergosa to send the workers you want. O.K?” Ibrahim said.
“Make some more rooms for the new labour at the site” He instructed Abdulla.

The new workforce arrived after four days. The speed of the work was increased. Menon did not leave the site. Two cabins were brought from Dubai for Menon and Abdulla to stay on site. Ibrahim bought a plastering machine which would spray readymade plaster on to the walls and ceilings. Masons were trained to use the machine. Plastering time was much reduced and the finishing works consequently took less time than anticipated.

In the evenings, Menon would walk down to the Al-Ain road and would visit Khalifa Canteen. He would eat an early dinner and return to his cabin.
One evening while he was returning to his cabin, he noticed that Baqer’s Land rover was not at the hut. It was dusk time. He stepped into his hut.
“Good Evening Engineer” Gauri’s voice was as sweet as her face.
Menon smiled and wished her.
“Baqer baba has gone to Dubai to fetch monthly rations. He will come only after two hours.” Gauri said.
There was a pause.
Menon sat on the chair, while she continued.
“I was planning to talk to you for so many days. I belong to a village, Pochampalli, near Hyderabad. It is very famous for saris. Tourists come there daily to buy saris. The saris are special ones. My parents and brother also make these saris. I am the only one educated in our family. I took a degree from Hyderabad at the Avinash College of Commerce. My parents and elder brother supported me to complete my course.

One day, Baqer baba arrived at our house and he said he was looking for a house maid. I had a degree and if I go to Dubai, I might be able to get a job, I thought. So I requested my parents and brother to allow me to go to Dubai.

I never thought I would be staying in a Bedouin’s hut in the desert. Baqer baba is very good. He never touched me. Instead he gave me affection like a father. Twice a year when Eid is celebrated he would gift me ornaments and Indian dresses. Every month he would send a rupee draft of 2000, to my parents. I have not got out of this hut for the last five years” She cried.

“Can you help me to get out of this place?’ She requested.
Menon got very emotional at the plight of Gauri.
“Look, I won’t be able to do anything. They will put me behind bars if I make any attempts to do that. I am sorry”. Menon said in a helpless tone.
“After we shift to the new villa which you are constructing, Baqer baba said he would take me to my parents. But I don’t believe that. May be I won’t be able to see my parents at all”. She went to her room crying.

Menon felt very sad as he walked back to his cabin.


4 comments:

Followers